STAFF SELECTION COMMISSION SOLVED PAPERS
FREE QUESTIONS ON : http://indiaknow.blogspot.com
1. Who was the Prime Minister of Britain when India got Independence?
a) Harold Wilson b) Lloyd George c) Chamberlain d) Clement Atlee
2. The Acharya who established “matths” in all the four corners of India
a) Ramanuja b) Sankara c) Madhava d) Vallabha
3. Sir C.V.Raman was the first Nobel Laureate in Physics from the Indian Sub-continent.Who was the second?
a)Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam b) Dr.S.S.Bhatnagar c) Dr.Hargovind Khorana d)Prof.Abdus Salam of Pakistan
4. Free India’s First Education Minister was
a)M.C. Chagla b) Maulana Kalam Azad c) Rafi Ahmed Kidwai d) N.G.Ayyangar
5. Who was the first Viceroy of India ?
a)Lord Clive b)Lord Warren Hastings c)Lord Canning d)Lord Cornwallis
6. The servants of India society was founded by
a)Blavatsky & Olcott,1866 b)Gopalkrishna Gokhale,1905 c)M.G.Ranade,1867 d)Sir S.A.Khan,1920
7. Under whose Vice Royalty was Tipu Sultan Defeated
a)Lord Cornwallis b)Lord Wellesley c)Lord Hastings d)Lord Canning
8. The famous”Al-Berauni”is associated in Indian history with
a)Mohd.Tughlaq b) Mohd.Ghori c)Mahmood of Ghazni d)Allau-ud-din Khilji.
9. Battle of Buxar was fought in the year
a)1757 b)1764 c)1576 d)1565
10. Kalidas was the court poet of
a)Chandragupta-II b)Chandragupta Maurya c)Harshavardhan d)Kharavela
11. Battle of _______ is associated with Prithviraj & Mohammad Ghori
a)Haldighati b)Talikota c)Kanwa d)Tarain
12.Second Battle of Panipat was fought in the year _________ ,headed by_________
a)1526,Babur b)1556,Humayun c)1556,Akbar d)1605,Jehangir.
13.The first round table conference was held under the vice royalty of Lord
a)Reading b)Irwin c)Wellingdon d)Mountbatten
14. Who was the last famous Hindu King?
a)Harshavardhan b)Samudragupta c)Chandragupta-II d)Ashoka
5. Who is known as the Indian Napolean?
a) Chandragupta I b) Samudragupta c) Chandragupta II d) Skandagupta
16. The author of historical epithet ‘Rajtarangini” was
a)Kalhana b) Kalidas c) Chanakya d) Banabhatta
17. The Kailashnath Temple at Ellora was built by the
a) Rashtrakutas b) Chalukyas c) Cholas d) Pallavas
18. Alexander defeated Porus at the bank of river Jhelum. This battle is famous as the battle of
a)Wandiwash b)Hydapses c) Chausa d) Khanwa
19. Which governor General abolished the practice of sati?
a) Lord Dalhousie b) William Bentick c) Lord Cornwallis d) Lord Hastings
20. Lord Curzon is associated with which of the following events?
a) Hunter commission b) Doctrine of Lapse c) Partition of Bengal d) Jallianwala Bagh Tragedy
21. Gandhiji first started his Satyagraha Movement in
a) Peitermaritzberg , South Africa b) Sabarmati, India c) Johhanesberg, South Africa d) Dandi, India
22. The “veda” which deals with Ayurvedic system of medicine
a)Rigveda b) Samveda c) Atharavaveda d) Yajurveda
23. The famous “Economic Drain Theory” was given by
a) Lord Lytton, 1876 b) Swami dayanand,1875 c) Dadabhai Naoroji,1876 d) Lord Northbrook, 1876.
24.The capital of India Was shifted from Calcutta to Delhi in the Year
a) 1910 b) 1911 c) 1920 d) 1919
25. Who, among the following , is known for his pioneering work on medicine during the Gupta period
a) Sudraka b) Sushruta c) Shaunaka d) Saumilla
26. Who was the founder of Indian National Congress ?
a) Dadabhai Naoroji b) A.O. Hume c) W.C. Banerji d) Badrudin Tyabji
27. Jalianwala Bagh Tragedy occurred in which of the following year?
a)1927 b)1942 c) 1920 d) 1919
28. Brahmo Samaj was founded by
a)Raja Ram Mohan Roy b) Keshab Chandra Sen c) Swami Vivekanand d) Swami Dayanand
29. The policy was Subsidiary Alliance was started by
a) Lord Cornwallis b) Lord Welleseley c) Lord Canning d) Lord Hastings
30. The last Mughal Emperor was
a)Bahadur Shah II b) Shah Alam II c) Akbar II d) Alamgir II
31. Sir Thomas Roe was the ambassador of James I to the court of
a)Akbar b) Jahangir c) Shah Jahan d) Auranzeb
32.Vasco da Gama was a famous ______ traveler.
a) Danish b) French c) Portugese d) Dutch
33. When was American Independence declared ?
a)1776 b)1756 c) 1736 d) 1746
34. When did Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
a) 1939 b) 1936 c) 1933 d) 1930
35. The Industrial Revolution was to begin first in
a) USA b) Japan c) England d) (erstwhile)USSR
36. Who wrote Buddha Charita?
a) Bana Bhatta b) Ashva Ghosa c) Kalidasa d) Tulsidas
37.Where was the first factory by the Britishers set up in India in 1612?
a) Pondicherry b) Surat c) Cochin d) Calcutta
38. The principal language of the Dravidians was
a) Kannada b) Telugu c) Tamil d) Malayalam
39. In which year Ashoka fought the Kalinga War?
a) 58 B.C.b) 78 B.C. c) 599 B.C. d) 261 B.C.
40. When was the Berlin Wall built?
a) 1917 b)1961 c) 1921 d) 1963
41. Which among the following is not the official language of the U.N.O.?
a) Spanish b) Arabic c) Chinese d) Japanese
42. Who suggested the name “United Nations “?
a) John.F.Kennedy b) Franklin D. Roosevelt c) Jimmy Carter d) Napolean Bonaparte
43. Which among the following is the U.N.Foundation Day?
a) 30th oct.1945 b) 24th oct.1945 c) 6th aug.1942 d) 9th aug.1942
44. The term of office of a judge of the International Court of Justice is ______ years.
a) 3 b) 5 c) 7 d) 9
45. The only Indian Woman who became President of the World Health Organisation so far was
a) R.K.Amrit Kaur b) Vijaylakshmi Pandit c)Sucheta Kriplani d) Sarojini Naidu
46. Who was the first secretary general of the United Nations?
a) Kurt Waldheim of Austria b) Dag Hammarskjoeld of Sweden c) U. Thant of Burma d) Trygve Lie of Norway.
47. The hundred sons of Dhritarashtra had one sister.What was her name?
a) Duhsala b) Trishala c) Kunti d) Madri
48. In Indian Mythology , who was the wife of Kubera?
a) Rambha b)Menaka c) Urvasi d) Lakshmi
49. Which country was expelled from U.N. in 1992?
a) Czechoslovakia b) Yugoslovia c) Iraq d) Switzerland
50. Who compiled the Adi Granth?
a) Guru Nanak b) Guru Har Rai c) Guru Arjun Dev d) Guru Teg BahadurRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( 2 so far )